Sunday, June 17, 2007

Far Away Father's Day

Here are a couple of photos from this afternoon. We took several to email to Karl for Father's Day. As you can see, Garin enjoys driving the golf cart with Grandma or Grandpa. His other favorite activities here involve turning fans or lights on and off climbing on everything in sight. He is fortunate to have a couple of very indulgent adults around who have already succeeded in spoiling him absolutely rotten only one week into our six-week visit!

Karl received his Father's Day care package from us much too early, on Monday, but in an impressive show of willpower, he waited until today to open it! It sounds as if he's really enjoying it, and I'm so pleased about that! In an unexpected and happy turn of events, he arrived at work tonight to discover two more packages: one from his mom and one from his squadron at Dover! He was so excited to tell me about them. His commander even sent a handwritten note asking how he was doing and how our trip to Texas was going. That is so far above and beyond the call of duty and is greatly appreciated!

Karl has a bad cold, sore throat and cough. In typical fashion, he has been procrastinating about visiting the doc. When he called today, I told him he needed to go (He sounded awful.), and he said to give it a day or two. I said, "Cough for me." I think he couldn't believe I asked him to do that, and he tried to make a joke of it. He did finally cough and sounded horrible, so I made him promise me that he would go to the doctor as soon as his shift is over in the morning. I know this sounds bossy and nagging, but anyone who knows Karl knows that he will bend over backward to make sure everyone else is okay, but he won't take the same kind of care of himself. Plus, he's very prone to bronchitis. I am hoping that this doctor can help him get better before it comes to that!

Garin and I have been reminded in the last couple of days that we aren't in Delaware anymore, thanks to the mosquitoes that think we make a tasty lunch! I have almost 40 bites after a few minutes outside one evening. Thankfully, Garin only has four - probably because I have only let him outside during the daytime. We're going to have to be very careful and use repellent!

I have had fun this weekend visiting with old friends! A dear high-school friend and her family were in town Saturday and today from the Dallas area, so we spent some time together yesterday afternoon, catching up and making plans to see each other again in July. She and her husband met when I and my then-boyfriend introduced them. Debi and I went to one high school, and my boyfriend, Kevin, went to the rival school with his friend, Peter. Our hope was that they would accompany each other to their respective proms, as both needed a date. Now, twenty years and three beautiful children later, they're living their happily ever after. There are so many neat twists and turns to the story, but I'll spare you the gory details. It is, however, a real privilege to call them friends! I also have gotten a chance to see Kevin a couple of times at church. Although we stopped dating as teenagers, we are lifelong friends, as are/were our parents. Sadly, cancer took his father last July. I really felt for him and his family today as we celebrated Father's Day. Hopefully we'll get a chance to catch up before I head back to Delaware. Another friend, Courtney, whom I've known since the diaper stage, lives here in town. I saw her briefly today, and we plan to get together in the next week or two for lunch to try to cover the events of the last 10 years! I'm thinking she and Kevin would make a cute couple...............hmmmmmmmmmm.............................

Well, I'm doped up on Benadryl, and it's getting late. I think it's time to say goodnight! Everybody sleep tight!

No comments: