Sunday, July 22, 2007

Random Thoughts from a Tired and Busy Mind

It's been way too long since I posted, and for that I am sorry. I have spent the last six weeks back home, where I have been spoiled and loved, and I didn't feel like taking the time away from family to write down my thoughts. I managed to take four tests in one week, putting me closer to finishing the semester in a somewhat reasonable time frame, and then I just enjoyed the comforts of home. I am always thankful to be there, but this time was particularly special. Perhaps it was because Karl is gone, or maybe it was because we could be there long enough to get past the rush of seeing everyone and getting everything in that we want to do. But no, it was just the joy of family, all together again. I know you will probably all read this, so I'll try not to be too mushy.

My parents still take care of me when I'm with them, and it's so reassuring to know that you're never too old to be babied a bit. It's also nice to share the grown-up things with them and know that they will stand behind me no matter what. My grandparents....I get teary-eyed thinking of them....have always been such a special part of my life. I dearly enjoy sitting in their living room or around the table with them. I love to hear my Memaw pray before a meal. You can feel her heart pouring out before the Lord, and I just wish I had a little tape recorder in my pocket sometimes. There is something so precious about seeing the way Garin loves them and wants them, and how they satisfy him in ways the rest of us don't. And then there is my sister, Marci. Marci is that one person that has always known me inside and out and always will. There is a comfort in that which is hard to explain to anyone who isn't so privileged to have a sister who is also her best friend. I'll leave that there because it is what it is, it is a relationship that is larger than life and cannot be put into words. Sandra, Eli and Emma - my nieces and nephew - each one is very unique and equally easy to love and admire. Two came through adoption, one by birth. It doesn't matter which is which, so I won't tell you. They were all sent to us by God and are amazing, beautiful people. I am so proud of each of them. My cousin, Doug, must also be mentioned. He was my favorite playmate when we were children. He pretends to be tough, but he is as soft as can be on the inside. He has always been there for me and will forever be one of my best friends. He is a deep thinker and understands more than most of us ever will, and he loves just as deeply. But he somehow still manages to be the funniest person I've ever known.

I also had the chance to spend some time with some very special family members who adopted me by marriage. I am so thankful for my mother-in-law, who accepted me and loved me from day one, and who always has a kind word and an understanding heart. My father-in-law and stepmom-in-law were kind enough to make a long trip down to spend a couple of days with us. They have big hearts which they share without reservation, and we had a great time with them. Jill, Trint and Clancy - Karl's sister, husband and son - are some of the coolest people I know. They work hard, love deeply and make life more pleasant for everyone around them. I had more fun with them! And I was so happy to see Karl's sweet Memaw again!

Stomach flu was everywhere while I was down there. Memaw got sick first, followed by Garin and me. Trint, Susan and Jill were next. And just when we thought it was over, Dad and Sandra got sick just a couple of days before we left. Thankfully, no one else caught it, and we made it home without having to deal with illness!

Two more of Mom and Dad's friends were diagnosed with brain cancer: Rudy and Ron. And Jill lost a dear friend, who was wife and mother to four small children, to an aneurysm. It seems to be a terrible trend. Ron seems to be doing well with chemo and radiation. Rudy was rushed into surgery on Thursday because he suddenly became paralyzed from the waist down. They feared another tumor on his spine, but I have not yet heard the results. I do know that God does miracles, so please keep praying!

God worked an amazing miracle in the last few weeks for another friend of my parents. Glen Schmucker is a pastor in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, and he is one of those people with an amazing gift for compassion and understanding. I have never actually met him, but I have considered him a friend, or maybe a kindred spirit, for some time. It is odd how someone whose face you've never seen can be so close to your heart. Glen suddenly became ill three or four weeks ago. On July 9, he was so bad that his organs were failing, his blood pressure was dropping and his children were called in to say their goodbyes. But God DOES work miracles, and Glen has gone from unconscious with liver failure, heart problems and more to being taken off the transplant list. His liver function is back to normal, he is off the ventilator, and his body is healing. Why? Because some doctor made a very good educated guess about treatment and gave him an antiviral medication that happened to target the virus he had....all before they even knew he had a virus. It's a God thing!

After a long but blessedly uneventful three-day drive back to Dover, I am exhausted. I have a big list of things to take care of this week. The big thing is that I have come back to the news that our housing is being demolished on October 15th. We have been assigned a 3 bedroom house and are to move on Sept. 27th!!! I had been told in May that we would move in November at the earliest. There are a couple of issues to consider here. One is that we need at LEAST a 4 bedroom if D and K get here before we leave Dover. That should be easily taken care of. I have been told that if I have a letter from the agency stating our intent to adopt, we can get the larger unit. Of course, had I known they were pushing everything up, I could have gotten it to them prior to housing assignments, but I think it should be cleared up easily when I go in and talk to them tomorrow. The other issue, of course, is that this will be the third move in three years that I have done without Karl. He always manages to be gone when we move, but it's not his fault! It will all be worth it, though, because if all goes well, this would allow us to be in the home D and K would come home to prior to the completion of our home study. This means the home study won't have to be updated before the kids can come. Of course, I'm assuming that the kids will be approved for us, and the adoption will go through as we hope. Please remember this in your prayers. God has a plan for us and for these children, and there are so many steps along the way. Please pray that God will open the right doors, close the wrong ones and make His will the reality!

Now it's 10:00, and I need some sleep!!!!!! I'll say good night for now. There are a bunch of great photos to post, but I'll have to wait until tomorrow for that, I'm afraid. Love to you all!

No comments: