Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Care Packages and New Teeth

Karl had a rough spell last night. Actually it was yesterday afternoon here...I think. It's so confusing because not only are we dealing with a time difference, but he is working nights and sleeping days, and it's hard to keep it all straight. So anyway, he woke up around 9:00 pm his time and realized he'd only been gone five days and started getting really down that he is so homesick already. I really think that he'll feel better once he gets more settled in, meets some friends and starts doing something he enjoys during his off-time. I just hope that happens soon!

I asked him what he would like in a care package, and he said he'd love Twizzlers. He also needs more boxers. Apparently, the laundry service there gets clothes VERY clean, as in they boil them and beat them into submission. He said the ones he took over are already looking like their lives are limited. The problem is that each of his thighs is bigger than my waist, and most boxers don't fit him. I hate buying his boxers, but I guess we'll learn by trial and error! His biggest suggestion, though, was that I send our Oust fans for his room. Apparently, two grown men and their dirty laundry in a 10x10 room with 120-degree weather doesn't make for a pleasant aroma! Go figure! We have plenty of the fans around. I'll buy some refills, and he can get batteries, but for those who have mentioned sending him something, Oust fan refills and Twizzlers would be great. Of course, ANYTHING would be appreciated, and one can only eat so much candy. Although he didn't mention it, I know he would also like to have almonds. Just keep in mind that chips and cookies (and unfortunately Dr. Pepper) don't travel well. When he was there in 2003, he got a package of cookies from home that he enjoyed very much, but they were not cookies anymore; they were powdery crumbs.

Garin and I have lots of errands to run today. Bless his heart, he slept until 9:30 this morning! I was able to get ready, get flowers watered and dead-headed, unload the dishwasher, make his breakfast, give Annie her medicine and sweep the floor before he woke up. We'll head out in a few minutes. By the way, he has two new molars and two more right at the surface!

No comments: