Hi Friends! It's been far too long (again) since my last post! I have got to get back in the habit, but life has been a whirlwind this past month, and I have barely found time to sleep. I have, however, managed to check facebook regularly, so it's a better way to stay connected with me these days. I guess I've joined the ranks of the FB addicts.
We are now settled into our new home in a new state. Karl has a new job, and our lives are looking much different these days in many ways. In other ways, things are very much the same. We have seen a 70-degree temperature variance in the three weeks we've been here, but I think the entirety of the contiguous 48 states could say the same. We are enjoying renewing relationships with old friends here, but we also miss our Dover friends greatly...especially our small group. There aren't any small groups for couples in our age range (at least not that we've discovered) in our church here, so we'll probably start one if we can find some interested families. We are starting back into the praise team rotation in March and are looking forward to getting back into the groove of Wednesday-night suppers at church, followed by Bible study classes and praise team rehearsal. Our church here is getting a new pastor. As much as we love the former pastor and will miss him, we are also excited about getting to know our new pastor! We have heard wonderful things and are looking forward to hearing her preach and seeing how God will use her to help us grow spiritually and reach out to the community!!! This predominately Caucasian church has, as long as I've been affiliated with it, been very welcoming to all people regardless of race, socioeconomic status, etc. We have many families who have adopted African-American children, as well as children from Russia, China and all over the world. I think it will be a great thing for all of us to have an African-American pastor with such a heart for God and for people! I hear she has a gift for preaching and an enthusiastic, fun and easygoing spirit that will be great for our church!
The good news, adoption-wise, is that our documents were registered and accepted in Russia in January. We were told to expect travel dates at any time, so we are cautiously optimistic and hopeful!
Garin celebrated his third birthday last weekend with his little friend, hot dogs, cupcakes and a beautiful afternoon at the park. We also took him shopping for his new playset and let him spend the birthday money he received. An evening at ToysRUs is heaven to a little boy, but the decision-making is impossible for a three-year-old, so Mama and Daddy helped with that part.
Matt and I have made three trips to the DMV to get his license, but the lines are crazy, and their hours are ridiculously unpredictable, so he hasn't actually gotten to drive yet! We'll go back today and try again. He has been stuck waiting now for over seven months past his 16th birthday, as he got caught up in changes and new requirements that were added to the state driving laws right about the time he was ready to get his license. He's met the requirements. Now if we could just take the stupid test!
Karl is really enjoying his new job! He finds it interesting and challenging and enjoys the people he works with. The nice thing is that he is home every night and is not flying while we're here. There is definitely a lot of adjustment happening, though, because he is working 12-hour days here and eating lunch at his desk. At Dover, we saw him a lot more when he was home and had more flexibility if I needed him to watch Garin when I had a doctor or haircut appointment. I'm learning to work around things, and we're beginning...BEGINNING...to find a rhythm to daily life again. I am looking at a preschool for next year, so Garin can be with other kids three mornings a week for 2.5 hours. That will still let me be with him most of the time and also provide him with socialization and organized learning time. It is becoming obvious that he needs to learn to accept more structure and not have everything his way, at it is when it's just the two of us all day.
In case I don't get back tomorrow...Happy Valentine's Day to all!!!
Friday, February 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Happy Valentine's Day to you and your boys! My sweetie gave me 2 dozen roses and a box of chocolates!
Post a Comment