Saturday, September 23, 2006

Nightmares :o(

I guess all nightmares are born of our great fears in life. Since Karl came along, the ones that really shake me involve him and jets. I suppose that's a common one among pilots' wives, but I won't be asking around. I had one last night again. I wake up shaken because even though it's just a dream, it isn't an abstract, someone-is-chasing-me sort of nightmare. It's too real....too possible. I often just snuggle up really close to him but keep the dream to myself. I seldom want to speak it aloud, at least not in detail. I'm glad for morning and a chance to think about other things!

We had a great evening! We ate some delicious steaks out on the patio. (Garin woke up and had turkey & rice and apples & cherries.) Garin went to bed at 8:00, and Karl and I played rummy while we chatted with Matt on the phone. Matthew has improved his cross country time by two minutes over the last two meets - one minute faster each time. He's still one of the slowest, but he's progressing, and that is what matters. Their homecoming game was last night, but there were bad thunderstorms, so he missed it. He's looking forward to the dance tonight, though. He is going to hang out with friends and didn't ask a girl. There are a couple (or more) girls he likes, but he just doesn't feel ready for dating yet. Fine with me! I got to start dating at 15. With Matt just months away from that milestone, it seems much younger than it did back then!

Julie (next door) got another shot to boost her red blood cells yesterday, but they only gave her one chemo medicine. She's hopeful of a better week. She has a world-reknowned radiologist who is fascinated by her case because she has a disease that adults just don't get; it primarily strikes very small children. He told her that the spots on her lung are tiny scars from previous illness and not a cancer concern. He also said that people are born with Wilms tumor cells, and that's why little ones always get it. For hers to have taken 34 years to grow in her body is very promising for recovery because it means it is very unaggressive. She sounds much more positive!

Our friend, Anita, who is just 32, is still in Johns Hopkins (has been for over a week now) with pancreatitis. She has now developed pneumonia, so Julie couldn't stop by to visit her yesterday. I pray that she will recover well and quickly! Her two little ones must miss her terribly.

My grandfathers both have surgery scheduled this coming week. Papaw B is having his knee replaced Monday, and Papaw R is having bladder surgery on Thursday (He's having some serious health problems.). It's going to be a rough week for them, for Memaw B and for my parents. We will be praying extra hard for them!

We are enjoying our commitment-free weekend so much already! It's been so long!!! I wonder if we'll ever make it out of our jammies. It's NASCAR weekend here in Dover, and traffic is absolutely impossible, so it's generally understood among the locals that unless you're actually going to the races, you do all your shopping by Wednesday and don't leave home again until Monday.

We found Annie sprawled across the couch this morning, and she wouldn't budge to go outside and go potty. She's so funny! It's like it's all a dream, and if she moves, it will all be over.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! We intend to!!!

No comments: