Friday, January 12, 2007

Home for the Holy Spirit

Yesterday, I received one of the greatest, most humbling compliments of my lifetime. Interestingly, it was directed not at me, but at our home. I have debated about whether or not to share it, as I don't want to seem proud, but I don't think it speaks to any accomplishment of my own. It is the work of the Holy Spirit, and He deserves to be praised.

As I arrived at our OSC Social, one of my friends pulled me aside to speak to me. She is someone I like and enjoy, but I don't know her all that well. She said, "Your house must be bathed in prayer. I could just feel it when I walked in yesterday that God was there." I didn't even know she had been in my home! Her daughter babysat the day before while I was bowling, and she had stopped by on her way to run an errand. Her daughter has been dealing with depression for the last year and is struggling to regain her bearings and her confidence. I just felt like I needed to share with her that I had been in a similar situation at her age and to encourage her that it will get better and that she will get past it and create a great life for herself. It was totally a God thing because I only said a few brief sentences on my way out the door. Her mom said that she had no idea what I said, but when she arrived, her daughter sat down and started pouring out her heart, sharing things that she'd been holding in for a very long time, and they had a good, long talk. It was something that her mother and father had been praying for. They felt like it was a long-awaited turning point in their lives.

I learned something very important from this. When the Holy Spirit has an open invitation to reside and rule in our homes, we don't even have to be there for Him to work. He can use our faithfulness to bless people in our home even when we're gone. How awesome is that?!!

No comments: