Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Brushes With Fame....

I've known a couple of famous people. Well, more like almost famous. When I knew them, they were just regular people.

I went to junior high and high school with certain Hollywood heartthrob, but he was just a regular, scrawny (although cuter than average) high school boy then.

My first kiss took place on a church bus on the way to our youth group's winter ski trip to Colorado with a a regular, scrawny (although very musically talented) high school boy I'd known all my life, who became a guitarist in a chart-topping country music band.

Today, I saw a regular, scrawny (although very tall, intelligent, handsome and caring) high school boy on television. It was my Matt on the Today show!!!

Matt's high school band is on tour this week; they spent a couple of days in Boston and are now in NYC. He called and woke me up this morning about 6 am to tell me that he was at the studio and that I needed to watch TV.

Now, these things don't normally impress me too much, but it was very exciting to see my "baby" whooping it up with his buddies on live national television. (Would not have been so exciting had it been a live feed from MTV's Spring Break, mind you.) But we made good use of the DVR and will be keeping it awhile for show and tell, I'm sure. If you haven't seen the teens with your kids yet, just wait! Everyone says that they grow up too fast. It is cliche, yes, but all too true. There is something disquieting about seeing your baby standing in the middle of a group of men and women and suddenly realizing that he is one of them. He, too, is one whisker away from adulthood.

Sure does make a Mama proud, though!

No comments: