Saturday, October 07, 2006

Not much to say today...

It's been a cold, rainy day, and Garin and I haven't left the house. There was plenty to do around here, and he and I had a great time playing together. He decided to stand by the bathtub and pull back the curtain this morning while I was showering and played in the spray. When I was done, I ran a bath for him, and I couldn't get his clothes off fast enough to suit him. He splashed around and enjoyed a nice, long bath while I fixed my hair and put makeup on.

Last night, Papaw pulled out the feeding tube they had put in his nose. Today, they told him he needed a stomach feeding tube, and as we expected, he refused it. The hospital is, therefore, refusing to feed him. I guess it's a liability thing. Dad is bringing food in for him until they release him tomorrow. Then he'll go back home under Hospice care, where they will try to feed him as best they can, realizing that he may choke on his food and may not survive it. This is how he desires to live out what time he has left and prefers it to the stomach tube, so he will do so with the support and respect of the family. It is hard to imagine what is to come, but I pray that God will pour out His peace and grace as Papaw enters the final chapters of his earthly life. I have to say that every bite of food I put in my mouth today reminded me of Papaw. We take eating for granted; we take having enough food for granted. Then I begin to think of those, especially children, who go hungry every day - not because of illness but because they have no food. Maybe if we thought about eating more as a privilege than as entertainment, we would be healthier, happier people.

The DAFB Open House starts tomorrow. They're expecting over 100,000 people! It's crazy to imagine what the next couple of days will be like here. Our neighborhood is usually rather quiet, except for the old-fashioned neighborly chats on the street and the children playing and running around. That is without a doubt the number one advantage of living on base. It is a close-knit community where people go for evening walks and stop and visit with each other. Kids play all over the neighborhood with no fear because parents know they will be safe. We know each other and help each other the way neighbors used to when we were kids. I'll be proud this weekend, though, to show off our base and proud to stand beside my smartly uniformed husband as we work and play at the air show!

Blessings to you all! Have a great weekend!!!

No comments: