Sunday, October 08, 2006

There is no better doctor than Dr. Pepper!

Papaw was released from the hospital late yesterday and returned to Daisy's house by ambulance. Dear, sweet, qualified-for-sainthood Nurse Daisy and her equally exceptional husband take care of three elderly patients in their home better than any nursing home in existence. Our family was blessed to find them and is continually blessed each day that Papaw stays there. Daisy brought Papaw's personality back with one statement: "I'll bet you are ready for a Diet Dr. Pepper!" (Or something to that effect...I wasn't present, so this is a recycled story.) He has dined finely on coffee, grape juice, hot cereal and homemade chicken noodle soup. His sense of humor has returned, and he has found his voice again. There are bedsores to heal (Perhaps I should have said that Daisy is better than a hospital as well.), and Papaw is still in danger of not being able to swallow and choking. He still has cancer. But he is happy today, and that is the best news of all!

Garin is sick again. He's at that age where they catch everything. He was puny all day yesterday, and he woke me up around 3 am with a fever. I was supposed to sing this morning but had to cancel. He seems to feel better tonight, but he's still battling the fever. I'd forgotten how fully and completely children rule the lives of their parents. It is highly inconvenient and often frustrating, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I will embrace it as a blessing because we have him. After the miscarriage, I am more aware than ever that there are no guarantees in life. Wanting children doesn't mean that one will be able to have them. I knew that my chances were compromised by the Lupus Anticoagulant (a 50% chance of miscarriage or prematurity), but Garin was easy....okay, the pregnancy was hard on me, and I was sick the whole time, but it was a healthy pregnancy nonetheless. The gift of another child far outweighs any inconvenience.

The air show is over, and we survived. I waited way too long for the shuttle and dressed much too warmly today (because I nearly froze yesterday), but I still had a great time. My new hero is a lovely young woman named Nicole who is the first female member of the Thunderbirds...... WOW!!! I know her parents must be proud......and terrified. This does not in anyway detract from the incredible talent and skill of the men on the team, but Nicole is inspiring not only to little girls who will see by her example that it is true when their parents tell them that they can do anything they want to do in life, but also to grown women who still need to be reminded.

There were many thousands of people at the air show. When we see and hear so much about protests and opposition to our military men and women, it touches this military wife deeply to stand on a chair and look over the sea of people as far as the eye can see, wearing their red, white and blue and cheering, and feeling their support and love of my husband and his brothers and sisters in arms. Regardless of what the media tries to tell us, we do not stand alone.

The Cardinals are playing, and I need to get back to the game! PRIORITIES!!!! Tonight's the night that they finish off San Diego. Don't want to miss it!

LOVE TO YOU ALL!!!

No comments: