Thursday, October 05, 2006

Papaw is not doing well.

Last night, he choked badly on his dinner. They did a swallow test and told Dad that he was not to feed Papaw anything until he talked to the doctor. This morning, they told him that Papaw failed the swallow test. Because of the supranuclear palsy, which is a neurological disease similar to Parkinson's or Lou Gehrig's disease (ALS), it appears that the nerves to the swallowing muscles aren't working anymore. He will probably never eat again. They are talking about putting a feeding tube into his stomach, but he has lost his will to live. There is the possibility that he may refuse it. I can't blame him. He's tired, and He's ready to go Home. I talked to him this afternoon and told him that we love him and are praying for him. I told him that I know God will take care of him, but that it must be hard for him just the same. He started crying the way he does when he talks about Memaw, who passed away a few years ago. I and the rest of the family believe that he is ready to be with her again...to leave this world of struggle and pain and gain his eternal inheritance of joy and peace with his Father. It is so hard to see someone you love suffering. Please keep him and our family in your prayers.

1 comment:

Karen - HandsFreeBaby said...

Lori,
Your Grandfather is in our prayers.
So sorry it is rainy today and we could not meet up at the park, was looking forward to it.
Karen